10 Life Changing Essential Oil Hacks For Beginners
Essential oils are plant-based oil extracts that can be easily used as a natural health remedy to help or treat some health-related issues. If you don't know much about essential oils like how they are beneficial for you, relax we have come up with a well-researched article to help you out.
This is the ultimate. Go-To guide, for everything related to essential oils. So if you are a beginner, holding your first bottle of essential oil or if you are a seasoned monk, who is helping humanity with his essential oil wisdom, this is your one-stop guide, for everything related to essentials oils.
So now that we have hyped it up let's dive in.
1. Essential Oil Scents For Beginners
So let’s first start with gaining knowledge about your oils. You should be well informed about what plant your oil is made from and how it is beneficial for your health. You’ll be amazed to know that how many different types of scents are available out there.
-> Lavender: Well, who doesn’t want a peaceful and restful sleep? This is the calming oil that reduces stress and helps to calm and relax the mind. Also, you can use this oil for irritated skin, headaches and muscle tension.
-> Peppermint: You must have used this particular one for flavor food, right? But this cooling oil is also a great source to heal pains, headaches, used for respiratory tissues and digestive discomforts. You can even use it blindly in case of fevers and acid reflux.
-> Lemon: Ah! The detox one. You’ll be surprised to know how you can reap so many benefits from a small lemon. It is not only used for a sore throat but also balance pH levels, used for kidney stones, gout, seasonal discomfort and above all this, lemon can uplift your mood.
-> Melaleuca (Tea Tree): This is the first-aid oil, which is very effective for cuts and scrapes and athlete’s foot. It even helps you to fight acne, lice and fleas and dandruff. Insect bites and rashes are very common in the monsoon but don’t worry when you have the melaleuca oil with you. It is also used for pink eye and earaches.
-> Frankincense: What else you want when you have the universal oil on your side. This one is really helpful with skin conditions, depression, relaxation, anxiety, headaches, trauma, scars, wounds and thyroid issues.
-> Oregano: An amazing option for all those who have a weak immune system. This immune support oil is best used for infections, fungi colds, viruses, flu, mold, ulcers, warts, MRSA, melanomas, and parasites.
-> Lemongrass: This one can be used for tendonitis, nerve pain, and carpal tunnel, diarrhea, sore ligament, candida, muscle aches, and antiperspirant.
-> Eucalyptus: If you ever face any cold-related problems, the oil can be used without any doubt. It is used for coughs, congestion, respiratory issues, asthma, sinusitis, allergies, bronchitis, pneumonia, hot flashes and joint pains.
-> Helichrysum: The oil can be best used for scrapes, hemorrhoids, scars, tissue, repair, acne, varicose veins, stretch marks, liver problems, and hematomas. And boy, it smells good!
2. All Beginners should try these Diffuser Blends
Well, it depends on the location of your diffuser, and after learning about what we are going to tell you here, you might want to shift it to a better place in your home. You just want to add a few drops of essential oils together, and you can easily enjoy the perks of different essential oils at the same time. Here's a list of 3 drop diffuser blends.
-> Man Cave: You need to mix one drop of bergamot with one drop arborvitae and one drop cypress.
-> Sweet Dreams: You need to mix one drop juniper berry with one drop lavender and one drop of chamomile.
-> Fresh Air: You need to mix one drop melaleuca with one drop lime and one drop lemon.
-> Energy Trio: You need to mix one drop rosemary with one drop lemon and one drop peppermint.
(This could be you - Enjoying the bliss of essential oils!)
-> Citrus Smiles: You need to mix one drop lemon with one drop wild orange and one drop grapefruit.
-> Happy Morning: You need to mix one drop peppermint with one drop of lime and one drop wild orange.
3. Carrier Oil Uses
If you don’t know, you must use a carrier oil and essential oil together to dilute the oil. You need to mix the essential oils with one of the following carrier oils, and you’ll notice the difference yourself when you have a better experience. Here is your Carrier Oil 101.
- It helps moisturize dry, inflamed skin.
- Helps in stimulating blood circulation.
- Almond oil can nurse dandruff.
- It is good for making brittle nails much stronger.
- Helps in making cracked heels much better.
- Say goodbye to your split ends with this oil.
- Castor oil is an excellent option to lock moisture.
- Put a new life into your dry scalp.
- It is also good for promoting hair growth.
- Helps in moisturizing your dry skin.
- The oil is an amazing option to penetrate the hair shaft.
- Works in the best way when it comes to protection against signs of aging.
- The oil helps in to lessen the scars and dark spots.
- Use this oil to get relief from aching joints and muscles.
- The oil helps in protecting hair follicles.
- The oil is amazing and clears away all dirt and impurities.
- Helps in reducing irritation.
- Jojoba oil is also beneficial when it is about softening hair follicles.
- Neem oil helps in protecting against wrinkles and fine lines.
- Helps in improving mild acne.
- Protects your skin from sun damage.
Rosehip Seed Oil
- The seed oil helps in curing blemishes.
- Say goodbye to all the marks and scars.
- Also helps in reducing stretch marks.
4. Shoo away all the Bad Feelings with Essential Oils
Work stress and worrying about other daily problems is quite a common problem. But we have a solution, i.e., essential oil mix. Yes, you just want to keep the following mixtures into your diffuser and let the mist do wonders.
Stressed: You need to diffuse three drops of lavender with one drop of spearmint and three drops of lime.
Worried: You need to diffuse three drops of patchouli with three drops of bergamot.
Tired: You need to diffuse two drops of juniper berry with four drops of grapefruit and four drops of wild orange.
(Diffuse some essential blends, don't be this guy!)
Sad: You need to diffuse two drops of bergamot with two drops of grapefruit and two drops of frankincense.
Anger: Diffuse 2 drops of ylang-ylang oil with two drops of lavender and orange.
5. Tackle those Awful Headaches with Essential Oils
Headaches, we all go through them. And some of us, have severe headaches, and the whole world seems to be crashing down. Essential oils can again come to your rescue, and following mixtures can be used for some relief.
- Migraine Headaches: Some people out there are fighting with this kind of a headache, which is triggered by anxiety, sleep deprivation, stress and hormonal changes. Here you need to use lavender or peppermint oil to massage into the temples and also back of the neck. This helps you to get relief from migraine headaches and helps fight off nausea and anxiety.
- Tension Headaches: To get rid of stress and reduce tension, apply peppermint or eucalyptus oil topically on the forehead, wrists, and temples. To relax your mind, you can also add 5-10 drops of lavender oil to the warm water while bathing.
- A sinus Headache: If you ever want to relieve sinus tension and open up the nasal passages, apply eucalyptus oil topically on the top of nose, temples and the chest.
- A sugar Headache: A Sugar headache is caused mainly due to low blood sugar levels. Add lavender, rosemary and coconut oil equally and apply topically on the forehead, temples and back of your neck. In fact, you can also have one drop of rosemary oil internally with a cup of soup or smoothie.
6. Essential Oils for Body Pain
Undoubtedly, painkillers are the easiest way to heal any kind of body pain but try using essential oils if you are feeling pain in any of these following areas. This all-natural approach, has no side-effects, something which is common with painkillers.
- Back Pain: Back pain can be caused due to many reasons, be it nerve pain, menstruation, inflammation. The solution to the problem is the analgesic, anti-inflammatory or cooling properties of ginger, lavender, and wintergreen essential oil. This is how you can get relief from your back pain.
- Neck Pain: When you sit for a longer period or straining is the main cause of neck pain. And to get relief from such pain is to use an essential oil with anti-inflammatory features, apply it topically so that you can feel warm. It contains frankincense, lavender and chamomile essential oils.
- Knee Pain: Sometimes you feel terrible pain and swelling around the knee joint and even makes it difficult for you to walk normally. Thus, the best essential oils you can consider for you knee pain are rosemary, ginger, wintergreen, and frankincense.
- Nerve Pain: Well, basically nerve pain is related to swelling and inflammation, but it can also be caused by different tissues. And eucalyptus essential oil is recommended as the best essential oil to get relief from the nerve pain.
- Shoulder Pain: If you ever get a shoulder pain then a combination of lavender, chamomile, and frankincense can be best used to tackle inflammation and tension.
- Foot Pain: If you want to reduce swelling and want to get rid of that unbearable pain as soon as possible, nothing could be better than wintergreen and frankincense essential oil.
- Kidney Pain: Lavender essential oil is always considered the best to cure liver and kidney problems. But thyme essential oil comes with such great therapeutic properties which help to lessen the symptoms of cramping and backache.
- Leg Pain: Leg pain can occur due to some problems. To take you out from the pain, rosemary essential oil reduces swelling and keeps it warm while wintergreen essential oil improves the blood flow.
- Bone Pain: Wintergreen, eucalyptus, and frankincense are considered the best essential oils for bone pain and body aches that reduce inflammation and stimulate blood circulation in the area.
7. Curing Anxiety with Essential Oils
Headaches, body-pain can be treated with some pain-killers (even though they come with terrible side effects). But when it comes to anxiety, there are not many pills which you can take. Check out these essential oils that help you tackle the situation.
- Lavender: Some studies have proven that the lavender oil helps to lower down anxieties which are more into anxiety-provoking movies, visiting the dentist and undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery.
- Vetiver: Vetiver essential oil comes with reassuring energy, grounding and has a tranquil. The oil is generally used in trauma that helps a person in stabilization, calmness, and self-awareness.
- Rose: Ladies who are expecting for the first time should try the rose essential oil footbaths and aromatherapy that helps in reducing anxiety.
- Bergamot: It is proven that if you use blended essential oil with bergamot, it is beneficial to treat anxiety and depression.
- Chamomile: You can enjoy the perks of this essential oil as it is just perfect for inner harmony and also reduces irritability and anxiety, worries and over thinking.
- Frankincense: The frankincense essential oil has a tranquil and calming energy and also spiritual grounding, which is quite amazing for treating anxiety and depression. Frankincense aromatherapy also helps to make your meditation much better and relax the mind.
8. Beginner Essential Oil Blends
Who doesn’t love the products that are user-friendly and are also easy-to-use? Essential oil roll-ons are the best solution when it comes to convenience, and also it helps you to experience the oils anywhere. You can easily roll- on the oil and enjoy the benefits. So here are some blends, which even a complete beginner can make -
- For a good sleep at night, add seven drops of Roman chamomile and five drops of lavender.
- For sore muscles blend, add two drops of ginger with one drop of black pepper, four drops of peppermint and five drops of eucalyptus.
- For stress blend, add six drops of clary sage with four drops of lavender and two drops of lemon.
- For ‘wake me up’ blend, add four drops of peppermint with two drops of lemon and two drops of frankincense.
- For good concentration, add six drops of rosemary with four drops of lemon and two drops of peppermint.
(Creating essential oil roll-ons are easier than your 5th grade Chemistry Practicals)
- For winter blues, add eight drops of orange and two drops of ylang-ylang.
- For an aphrodisiac blend, add eight drops of sandalwood and two drops of jasmine.
- For a headache and sinus relief, add eight drops of eucalyptus and four drops of peppermint.
- For cramp relief, add five drops of peppermint with four drops of cypress and three drops of lavender.
- For minor boo-boos, add six drops of lavender and six drops of tea tree.
9. Some Natural Remedies
So here we are going to tell you about some remedies that you can use essential oil for. And the best part is, instead of having some bug sprays or allergy medication; you can simply have these following essential oil mixes.
- Migraine Headache Relief: Try out this superb mixture of lavender and peppermint oil and use it to the temples. It helps you to get relief from those migraine headaches.
- Energize your Workout: The best way to lessen fatigue before the workout is to inhale peppermint oil.
- Reduce a Cough or Sinusitis: Eucalyptus oil comes with some really strong abilities that help you fight off coughs and open airways. Mix some drops of oil into steaming hot water or diffuser. Now, you can inhale so that it can clean the nasal passage.
- Reduce Fever: Try out this way to reduce fever. Take a cool cloth and 1-3 drops of lavender, peppermint, and eucalyptus and sponge the body.
- Repair Broken Bones: You can use fir, cypress, and helichrysum essential oil to heal the broken bones.
- Relieve Motion Sickness: The best way to reduce motion sickness is to use ginger, lavender and peppermint oil.
- Heal Burns: You can use aloe vera mixed with lavender for the treatment of burns.
- Arthritis Relief: You need to add two drops of cypress, wintergreen, and lemongrass to unscented lotion. Now, apply it to the affected areas.
- Soothe Bug Bites: For bug bites and stings, you can use lavender oil.
- Treat Ringworm: For this, you can simply add three drops of tea oil with coconut oil and apply it over the affected areas, at least twice a day.
- Improve Digestion: When peppermint, ginger, and fennel essential oils are combined, it is the best thing you can have for good digestion.
- Head Lice Cure: You need to add three drops of eucalyptus, lavender, and thyme with unscented oil to apply on your scalp. Cover your head using a shower cap and leave it for half an hour. Then shampoo out.
- Bronchitis and Asthma Remedy: If you don’t know, one can easily make their homemade vapor rub. You just need to add peppermint, coconut and eucalyptus oil and rub it on the chest and neck.
- Soothe Sunburn: Use one tablespoon of coconut oil and combine it with lavender or chamomile oil. Use a cotton ball to apply on the skin, and it will reduce the swell.
- Treat Poison Oak or Poison Ivy: Add three drops of peppermint oil to the unscented oil and apply it over the affected area.
- Reduce Teeth Grinding: Before you go to sleep, massage on the bottom of your feet and behind the ears with 1-3 drops of lavender oil.
- Eczema and Psoriasis Cream: Use a mixture of lavender oil with shea butter to treat psoriasis, eczema or dry red skin.
- Reduce Morning Sickness: To get rid of morning sickness, you need to add some drops of wild orange, lemon or ginger oil to your handkerchief and inhale.
- Relieve Hangover Symptoms: Add six drops of cedarwood, juniper berry, lavender, grapefruit, lemon oil and rosemary each into a warm.
- Curb Food Cravings: To reduce your appetite, you can inhale cinnamon oil and peppermint oil. It also helps to balance blood sugar.
10. Use Essential Oils to Clean your House
Why not use some healthier and safer products instead of using some harsh household cleaners. So, swap your bottles with these healthy products that include essential oils.
- All-Purpose Cleaner: Mix 3 drops of tea tree and lemon oil in warm water and keep the countertops disinfected, simply spray the mixture.
- Spiritual Enlightenment: The best way to increase spiritual awareness, just diffuse frankincense essential oil every time while meditating, praying or reading.
- Natural Mosquito Repellent: Add one drop of citronella, lemongrass and eucalyptus oil each with one tablespoon of coconut oil. Rub the same mixture and use it as a natural bug spray.
- Sports Gear: If you or your kids or anyone is involved in sports, use two drops of both lemon and tea tree essential oil with baking soda to sports gear and jerseys.
- Bathtub Scrub: Add five drops of bergamot or lime oil with ½ cup baking soda and ½ cup vinegar, and you can use the same as a scrub for sink or bathtubs.
- Fresh Trashcan: Nobody loves that bad smell from the trashcan, so to get rid of that odor, put a cotton ball at the bottom of the trashcan with two drops of tea tree and lemon oil.
- Wash Produce: For clean and fresh fruits and vegetables, simply take a large bowl of water and add two drops of lemon oil into it, wash them.
- Reduce Shower Curtain Scum: Take a 16 oz. Spray bottle and add four drops of eucalyptus oil and four drops of tea tree oil, add warm water to it. Then spray onto your shower.
- Bathroom Freshener: Take a cotton ball and soak it in lemon or lime oil. Now keep that ball behind the toilet to keep the bathroom fresh.
- Purify Fridge: Whenever you clean your fridge or freezer, add a few drops of grapefruit, lime or bergamot oil to the rinsing water.
- Clean Burnt Pans: Burnt pots and pans become stubborn while cleaning, so use lemon oil and boiling water and see the magic.
- Get Rid of Shoe Smell: Add a few drops of lemon oil and tea tree oil to your shoes to remove the smell and to freshen them up.
- Physician Kit: Make an amazing physician kit for your family and add lemon, tea tree, peppermint, and lavender, oregano and frankincense oil in it.
- Kill Pests: The best way to kill pests is to spray clove oil, and orange oil.
So, you see that essential oils have so many uses and benefits. First-timers can start with a diffuser and see how you feel. Then you can switch to other uses.